TIPS FROM CATHERINE ON SELLING YOUR HOME
Catherine has the expertise and resources you need to help you sell your home quickly and successfully. It all begins long before you open your home to showings. Catherine will help you see your home like a prospective buyer. She will walk through with you looking at both the inside and out with a fresh perspective. She will work with you to prepare a plan of action to have your home market ready within your desired time frame. It may take a while to get your home ready for market but having a plan in place will help you stay on track and committed to working on the items that will maximize your return on investment.
Here is a list of simple steps that will help you set the stage for your property to show its best for potential buyers.
Letting Go of Clutter!
When prospective buyers walk through your home, they tend to imagine it as if it were their own. You can help them envision their dream space by presenting a clean, clutter-free environment. Preparing your home for market is the best time to rid yourself of items that have little purpose or have lost value to you and your family.
Not sure where to start? Feeling a little overwhelmed? Catherine is connected to individuals and services that can help with the decluttering process.
Remove Personal Items
Put away family photos, souvenirs, knick-knacks and personal items. These items are special to you but, tend to distract potential buyers when previewing the home. The key is to present each room so that the buyer can get a true sense of how the space will work for them.
Clean, Clear Surfaces
Clear off counters, especially in kitchens and bathrooms, storing away small appliances and miscellaneous personal items. Pay close attention to detail and open each cupboard and drawer looking at how each area presents. Ensure surfaces are clean and that the contents are organized.
Create Ease of Movement
Remove and store extra furniture to open the space and promote easy foot traffic throughout your home. Catherine will help point out potential hazards or traffic flow issues in each room. Keep in mind you are presenting the space to maximize its value and generate interest. Not sure how to stage each room? Catherine works with the Top Home Stagers in the city that can assist you in making those key decisions.
Show Off Storage Space
Clear out closets, basements and garages as prospective buyers are always on the lookout for ample storage space. The more you organize the better the home presents.
Quick Fixes and TLC Potential buyers will be looking for visual clues that your home is well cared for. How much work a house seems to require will impact the offering prices you receive, so it’s worthwhile to ensure that everything is in good working order.
· Bathrooms - Ensure all plumbing fixtures are clean and in good working order. Outfit leaky faucets with new washers and clean any visible stains on porcelain fixtures. Replace old, worn shower curtains and bath mats.
· Doors and Windows – Spray WD40 on all hinges so everything operates smoothly. Have windows cleaned inside and out. Potential buyers will be estimating their energy costs, so fix drafts by re-caulking windows and replace exterior doors if necessary.
· Walls and Floors - A fresh coat of paint instantly transforms a space, helping it to look neat, clean, and up-to-date. This is buy far the cheapest upgrade with the most reward. Always fix obvious wall imperfections like cracks and nail holes, before painting. Steam clean carpets and runners and repair any chipped or loose floor tiles. Not sure where to start? Need access to a handy man or other tradesperson? Catherine is connected to professionals that can help.
· Atmosphere- Be mindful of the odours that could be present in your home. There are solutions for a fresher and improved air quality in your home. Ensure rooms are well lite and allow the buyers to see what each space has to offer.
· Curb Appeal –First impressions can be everything. Many people simply drive by a listing and decide based on your home’s curb appeal to view the home or not. So, don’t forget the importance of creating a well-manicured entryway – to entice potential buyers. Maintaining a neat and attractive exterior to your home will show buyers that you take pride on your property. Don't have a green thumb? Catherine has connections to experts in landscaping and exterior maintenance.
· Landscaping –Ensure that your lawn is well manicured: mowed, watered and void of brown spots. Have over grown shrubs and evergreens pruned or removed. Consider planting a few new bushes and colourful flowers at or around the front entry to create an eye- catching display of colour. If it’s autumn, rake leaves. During winter, clear the snow and ice from your walkway.
· Front Entry - Look critically at your front entrance: does the door or the porch railing cry out for a fresh coat of paint? Polish the door handle and invest in a new welcome mat or mail box. Ensure the front entry is safe and easy to access. Buyers should enter the home through the front door, not a side or back entry.
· Many serious buyers will want to drive by your home after the sun goes down. Remember to ensure that all outdoor lights are turned on to show your home in its best light. Installation of timers will help ensure this happens without you giving it a second thought!